Week 8

TOPIC 1: BANNED BOOKS AND YOUR BOOKSHELF

Ala.org lists the "top 10 most challenged books list" from the years before 1990 all the way to last year, 2017. There is also a lot of information on Ala.org regarding how books are banned, and why they are challenged. For example, ALA is not the company that bans books, they receive reports on attempts to band certain books in the community they are reporting from. They then put up the list of the challenged books which then informs the public and hopefully then other libraries and schools will take action on banning them. The ALA website states: "Books usually are challenged with the best intentions—to protect others, frequently children, from difficult ideas and information." Things such as sexually explicit, offensive language or materials unsuited to any age groups are the top three reasons why books are challenged and even banned. 

There are many books on these lists that I have never heard about, but also some that I have heard about. In 2017's top 10 list the two books I have heard of are Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

I know of Thirteen Reasons Why because of the Netflix show they came out with on March 31, 2017. I have never actually read the book, but based on the movie I can see why this book may be challenged or banned from certain schools and libraries. It definitely isn't a show/book for young audiences. 

In 2015, two of the books I have read/heard of are Fifty Shades of Grey, by E. L. James and The Holy Bible. Fifty Shades of Grey is a movie, and it is rated R. It is very graphic and not for young audiences what so ever and neither is the book. 

As for The Holy Bible, I can understand why this would be inappropriate to have in public schools. It would, in a way, be trying to push a certain religion on the kids in the school which is not allowed. I could see how The Holy Bible would be appropriate for a private Catholic or Christain schools, but other than that I don't think it is appropriate to have in a school library unless they have every single religions book of prayer to accommodate for everyone.

I think limiting access to various books and other materials in public schools is a good idea and I agree with it 100%. Although, as for local libraries, I don't agree as much. Of course, I don't think that books such as Fifty Shades of Grey and Thirteen Reasons Why should be in the children's section of the library but I don't agree with banning books that don't accommodate to everyone in local libraries. I think doing so would make many adults and educated readers stop visiting public libraries because the books would be all for children and G rated.

As for my personal bookshelf, I am a huge Stephen King fan. I think his writing and the way he gets into the reader's mind is incredible. His novels are twisted, scary, eery, and fascinating. I could read them over and over again and never get bored. Some of Stephens King's work that I love the most is It (1986), The Shining (1977), and Under the Dome (2009). All three of these books have also been made it on screen being either a movie (It and The Shining) or a TV show (Under the Dome).

Another author that I absolutely love is Nicholas Sparks. His novels are full of love and romance. Some of my favorite novels by him are A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, Dear John, Safe Haven, The Longest Ride, The Last Song and The Best of Me. Just like Stephen King, almost all of Nicholas Sparks novels were turned into films... He's just THAT good.

Stephen King and Nicholas Sparks are two extremely different authors but they do have one thing in common: they really bring the reader in. I think loving these two authors shows I have a wide diversity of books I like and can range from loving anything terrifying and gory to someone full of love and romance.



TOPIC 2: MAGAZINES

I've always been a big fan of magazines and use to get so excited when a new one would show up in the mail. My top three favorite magazines are Cosmopolitan, Vogue, and InStyle. These three magazines are very similar. They talk about style, beauty, love, and have different discussion topics that are shown on the cover every month. These magazines are mainly advertised to woman and talk mainly about woman and how to live "your best life" being one.

Not only are these magazines fun to read but they are also fun to look at. There are dozens of beautiful photos and the design element in each magazine is wonderfully done.

I think liking these three magazines shows that I am interested in fashion and makeup and style. I love that these three magazines have great style and write about having confidence in yourself, which everyone needs. For example, the cover of Cosmopolitan even has "Confidence Now" written on the front page. They advertise very well what you are going to find in their magazines on the front page to spark the reader's interest at first glance.

As for products, many are advertised in all three of these magazines.

Take Cosmopolitan for example. They are big on advertising skin care products. They advertise things such as the best face washes for every skin type, products to fade acne scars, how to make a sunburn go away fast and the best sunscreens you should be using. They also advertise makeup, clothes and fashion and other beauty related things.
Skin Care Link
Makeup Products Link
Beauty Products Link

Vogue and InStyle also advertise many skin care products and is all about looking younger and fresh. InStyle also has beauty tips from celebrities as well as best beauty products when it comes to skin, makeup and hair.

As you can probably tell by now, all three magazines are very similar. They are all three about beauty, makeup, and fashion which are three things that I love which is why I can never go wrong with either of these magazines not only being a reader but a consumer of the products they advertise.



















Comments

Popular Posts