Week 1

ABOUT ME

Hi there! My name is Hunter Martuscelli and I am currently going on Sophomore year at LBCC. I currently live in Corvallis, Oregon with three other roommates and I absolutely love it. I grew up in West Linn, Oregon with just my mom. I am an only child and my mom is a single mom, so we have a great relationship which I am extremely thankful for. I chose to go to LBCC my first couple years to save money and make sure I knew 100% what I wanted to do with my life. After a lot of thinking and going back and forth on my decision, my career choice is to be an Interior Designer and my major for this is Business Administration with a minor in Art. I am extremely excited for what the future holds and I can’t wait to learn over the summer. 

I believe the media holds a very important place in this days society. Media is everywhere and is constantly a hyped up topic. Media in all forms has changed our lifestyles and is definitely something that is leading this generation. I am most interested in learning how media has progressed over the years and how much different our world is because of media. I think it is fascinating how much media and news stories can run our world and be in control of what we know and don’t know and what we put our focus on.

Besides furthering my education I am very passionate about animals. I have a giant heart for animals and fall in love with every animal I come in contact with. I am also very passionate about providing a clean environment for ocean life. Each year, over 1 million seabirds and 100,000 sea mammals are killed by ocean pollution and that number will keep rising if we do nothing about it. There are many organizations such as Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, Oceanic Preservation Society, and WDC that you can get involved in if you would like to help and are as passionate about this as I am (links attached below).







THE INFORMATION I CONSUME

I’ve never been much of a “newspaper” type of reader but I do love social media and think that platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and Facebook have done an excellent job of evolving their app and making it a place anyone can go to to keep up on important news. I would say my three go-to sources for information would have to be Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram. A few years ago, each of these apps just showed you what your friends or the people you followed posted about. Now, each has a separate page you can go to for news articles on things you may be interested in learning about or reading about. I think this new adaption is great for each of these apps and our generation. It really keeps us up to date on what is happening in the world, not just the latest internet gossip. I believe these sources are very reliable, or at least as reliable as the internet can get. These are real news articles that would be in any real newspaper or any other media in my opinion, just on a different type of platform with many other uses. Now, with these new updates to these apps, I hear about many important topics faster than I would’ve in the past. It is a great addition and a fantastic idea to educate the youth on things that need to be known. 


I am very aware that “fake news” is real and an important topic to be discussed. It is easy to believe everything you hear and want to share with everyone you know, and not so easy to take a step back and evaluate what you are hearing and make sure it is real and coming from a real source. I am extremely concerned about “fake news” and believe that many people jump to the conclusion of “well it must be real if the internet is telling me it is real.” Fake news is easy to come by and many fake news articles linger around daily with nothing anybody can really do to stop it. People will believe what they want to believe especially if it is conning from a “verified source” in their opinion. Before going around and telling all your friends what you heard on a media platform, do some more research to find out if its the real deal. Make sure you aren’t giving the writers what they want by spreading the fake news and take all elements into consideration. Does it seem real? Is it coming from a reliable source? What proof do they have? Take all of this into consideration before passing on the news. Fake news does nothing but stirs a pot that doesn't need to be stirred. Do your part in stopping the spread of fake news.

Comments

Popular Posts